So I decided it’s time to stop smoking, again. There are a few reasons behind this move. I have to get surgery sometime this year, so becoming healthy before hand (need at least 6 weeks of non-smoking) is the main driver behind this decision, money is second.
- In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.
- In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your bloodstream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.
- In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.
- In 1 month your blood pressure returns to its normal level and your immune system begins to show signs of recovery.
- In 6 weeks your risk of wound infection after surgery is substantially reduced.
- In three to nine months coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.
- In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
So, from stopping smoking I will have immediate health benefits. If I stick to it, long term benefits too. I just hope the mood swings aren’t too strong. I will just have to stay optimistic and buy lots of chewing gum.
If you’re looking at quitting smoking you should check out quit now for more information to help.